USB Interface Unit for CAT control and audio interface working with the following YAESU Transceivers:
The Yaesu SCU-17 is an interface to run with digital operating modes for almost all current Yaesu transceivers. The SCU-17 works as a USB sound card, therefore only one USB cable is required between interface and computer. The interface isolates all signals galvanically to avoid potential ground loops. In doing so the audio-in and audio-out, PTT, FSK and CAT signals are transmitted. The key signals are seperated by Opto-isolators, the audio signals by coupling transformers.
The SCU-17 is protected by a metal box to avoid irradiation problems by HF. There are two control knobs on the front panel for the NF-levels (Input, Output). This way the modulation level is adjusted in seconds without having to bother with the sound card dialog of the computer. Furthermore the front panel has three LEDs displaying the status of ‘Power’, ‘PTT’ and ‘FSK’. The SCU-17 uses the USB port as the power supply.
Installation requires to download and install the «Virtual COM Port Driver» from the website of Yaesu company. Caution: Install prior to connecting the interface to your computer!
- Provides CAT communication to a USB terminal when PC does not have RS-232C port.
- Has a USB audio system, so the radio’s TX and RX audio is also imported into the PC by the same USB cable
- Two-channel USB switching allows use of various transmission modes plus simultaneous CAT operation
- Powered by USB. No additional power required
- Photo relays and AF transformers provide excellent RF isolation
- TX and RX audio controls are right on the front panel for easy level adjustment
- LED indicators on the front panel allow confirmation at a glance on PTT and FSK control